Sunday, July 12, 2009

Trader Joe’s Tartar Sauce


Tartar sauce has never been something I get terribly excited about, or have even paid much attention to. It’s generally an unremarkable mayonnaise-based condiment served with fried fish. Nothing to write home about.
Until I tasted Trader Joe’s Tartar Sauce with dill and jalapeño.
The dill, an herb that’s complimentary to most seafood, adds a lovely flavorful note, but it’s the spicy bite of the jalapeño peppers that really makes this sauce something special.
I like it so much that I’ve been coming up with other ways to use this sauce.
It goes with both the fish and the chips (the poor catchup has been usurped, I’m afraid). It’s great mixed with canned tuna or even slathered on a burger. I bet it would make killer deviled eggs. There's a plethora of culinary potential in this little jar.
I urge you to give it a taste, even if you're not all that into tartar sauce.

In the meantime, here’s an interesting article on the origin of the name “tartar sauce” from The Straight Dope.
And now I am left to ponder the possible significance of my typo-ing “Tartar” as “Fartar”. Perhaps it's best not to think too much about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

And what have you to say for yourself???